Thursday 12 February 2015

Uzgrim's Marauders: Thank You White Dwarf 123 and 133


Uzgrim's Marauders featured in White Dwarf 123 where they were given a brief background story and showcased in all their glory as a fabulous army deal that came in at £70 including postage. Looking at the contents of a parcel that cost not much less than that (and which contains just few of these models) I rather wish I'd invested at the time (though I'd almost certainly lost them by now).

WD123 some great close-ups of the unit making up the army. As you can see the whole range wasn't used so there are quite a few more duplicate poses than I'll be collecting.


You even got free stuff for you £70...


To top it all off, there was a story attached and some handy paper banner designs.


What I'm wondering is who wrote that text and who painted the models? If anyone can help answer those questions I'd really like to know the answers. Not least because I need some more Orc names for my other heroes and I think it'd be grand to ask the original writer for some suggestions.

The Marauders were back ten issues later in White Dwarf 133, most of the material we've seen before. The army shot is one that most people will know:



They appear again on the back cover has a nice picture of them facing off with Karashalla's Reavers. 



I'm still trying to work out who is going to win this one...

3 comments:

  1. Yep I always loved this advert, ther is another one with the Marauder wyvern included. I'll have a look and see if I can remember.

    If you want orc names I have a random generation chart in my orc warband rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do remember the issue number please let me know. I'm on the look out for inspiration. And wyverns are cool, I've got a pair to paint at some point.

      My new aim is to try to create my own versions of these back cover battle scenes. This of course means I need a second Marauder army... I think I'll go for a Dwarf army!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I'll check out the name generator now, I think I need about yen more, Uzgrim has been on a recruitment drive and his army is now rather larger than it was back in the day!

      Delete